Infrared Thermometer - MLX90614
The MLX90614 provides two methods of output: PWM and SMBus (i.e. TWI, I2C). The 10-bit PWM output provides a resolution of 0.14°C, while the TWI interface has a resolution of 0.02°C. The MLX90614 is factory calibrated in wide temperature ranges: -40 to 85°C for the ambient temperature and -70 to 382.2°C for the object temperature. The measured value is the average temperature of all objects in the Field Of View of the sensor. The MLX90614 offers a standard accuracy of 0.5°C around room temperatures.
This devices comes in an industry standard TO-39 package. We're carrying the 3V version of this sensor.
- Small size, low cost
- Easy to integrate
- Factory calibrated in wide temperature range:
-40 to +85°C for sensor temperature
- -70 to +380°C for object temperature
- SMBus compatible digital interface
- Customizable PWM output for continuous reading
- High accuracy of 0.5°C over wide temperature range (0 to +50°C for both Ta and To)
- Measurement resolution of 0.02°C
- Single and dual zone versions
- Simple adaptation for 8 to 16V applications
- Power saving mode
- Different package options for applications and measurements versatility
- Automotive grade
Hooking it up
The pins are numbered counter-clockwise from the small pin on the casing while looking at the top of the module.
|1||SCL / Vz||Serial clock input for 2 wire communications protocol. 5.7V zener is available at this pin for connection of external bipolar transistor to MLX90614A to supply the device from external 8 …16V source.|
|2||PWM / SDA||Digital input / output. In normal mode the measured object temperature is available at this pin Pulse
Width Modulated.In SMBus compatible mode automatically configured as open drain NMOS.
|3||VDD||External supply voltage.|
|4||VSS||Ground. The metal can is also connected to this pin.|
The Melexis SMBus transfer datasheet shows this as the communication psuedocode:
Pseudo code example: Reading RAM address 0x07 (Tobj1)
- 1. Send START bit
- 2. Send Slave Address (0x00* for example) + Rd\-Wr bit**
- 3. Send Command (0b000x_xxxx + 0b0000_0111 -> 0b0000_0111)
- 4. Send Repeated START_bit
- 5. Send Slave Address + Rd\-Wr bit**
- 6. Read Data Byte Low (master must send ACK bit)
- 7. Read Data Byte High (master must send ACK bit)
- 8. Read PEC (master can send ACK or NACK)
- 9. Send STOP bit
Note* : Any MLX90614 will respond to address 0x00
Modules using this component
This page is a Component on bildr. Components are pages about specific parts, and include connection details and code when available.